meant to publish this friday but then i got side-tracked by the overwhelming desire to bake. and since that happens every Olympics i had to take advantage. amanda’s protein bars= delish. and will surely be gone by tomorrow if they miraculously last the night. they were also much better than this blog post but for some reason i felt like delayed posting..so away we go.
1. Bmore got dumped on and I got my snow daaaaaay! Praise be. Now winter exit stage left and make room for spring puh-leez. I know complaining about the weather is so tired at this point but I was telling someone on Wednesday that it feels like eons since it was warm. Dramatic? Always. But really, I feel like it’s been freezing for so long now. Let’s get on with me complaining about sleeping when I’m hot. I took a sick day on Friday because I was kind of nauseated and didn’t feel like digging my car out so I figured I’d let the sun, if it ever showed up, and time help me out. Our alley rarely gets plowed and is always a mess whenever it snows, so Wednesday I thought I was being SOOO smart and parked my car on the street. Well, wouldn’t you know, our alley got plowed and is perfect. My car was where, of course, the sun was not hitting and all the snow turned to ice and I just cannot deal. Never winning. It took an hour and a half. Of course, a lot of that is probably my piss-poor technique, but alas, we move on.
2. My company doesn’t make the decision to have a standard operating day, delay or closing anywhere between 6:45-7:15. I could scream from the rooftops (or whine on the Internet) how much I hate this. I get to my office around 6:45 (I know!) so this winter has been a huge pain, where I sit around and wait to find out if I have to go in. I usually do have to go in, and then I sit in all this 7:15 am traffic AND bad weather traffic where everyone drives sooooo slow. Last year when I was a newbie and the first major snowfall came, I realized that morning while I had e-mail on my phone and knew to call the snow line, I didn’t know what time they made the call at. I figured that since so many people came in early, it had to be early and they would have made it by now, so I made the trek in. The chairman of the board saw me in the kitchen as I was putting my lunch away and said “Oh no. I just called and told them to alert everyone that we’d be closed.” I was so angry and stormed out. He told HR and HR sent me an e-mail about reading my employee manual. It was fun.
3. My co-worker published her first YA novel last year. I read it with trepidation because, uh, what if it sucks? What if I won’t be able to look at her the same. I dunno why I was worried because she is an awesome writer, but the book was really good and sweet. Have I talked about this before? Possibly. Sorry. BUT don’t click x yet..she has a new book coming out March 31 and I’m super duper pumped. Above is the new cover that I love so much. Speaking of books, I can’t help myself, I read a good one this weekend. I was in the mood for a easy, breezy, (beautiful, cover girl) read and this book was just the ticket. It was the kind of book where I delayed finishing it because it was such a fun ride. Tomato, toh-mato, but read if you want and let me know what you thought.
4. I got a bunch of Amazon gift cards for Christmas and so I purchased a few kettlebells because I always thought they looked cool and effective. I did a kettle bells Tone It Up workout yesterday and I freaking loved it. It was one of those workouts where in the middle of it I thought ‘Wow I really like this!’ That never happens. Usually I’m huffing and puffing, counting the minutes until it ends, while feeling embarrassed at how weak and out of breath I am. I am so sore today and I forgot how good it is to wake up feeling a good kind of sore. I keep meaning to actually follow a weekly TIU schedule but keep forgetting (or making excuses) but hope springs eternal so let’s see what I can do this week. It was humbling when somebody found out I get home from work around 4 and exclaimed “wow so you have all kinds of time”, which I do, but I also possess a potent arsenal of excuses and incredible laziness.
5. One of my roommates is engaged and moving out so I am getting a new roommate soon. Saturday morning my lovely (not sarcasm! i’m so lucky and really love her) landlord and I met with potential tenants. My other two roommates were at work so I took my duty very, very seriously. I was all jazzed to meet the potentials and told my roommates “I will take care of getting alllllll the dirt!” Then when the candidates were live and in front of me I realized I didn’t have much to ask. ‘True or false and only answer false: I like to kill people in my spare time? Have you ever at any point in time lived a city and forgotten to close the and/or lock the front door leaving the premises vulnerable to robbery?’ Do you agree that J.K. Rowling is a flaw free human? How often do you bake and what is your philosophy on roommates who eat all of what you bake? Are you in possession of a cute, single older brother who loves girls in sweatpants and is interested in wooing your roommate whose name starts with a C and ends in an AITLYN?’ Hmmph. They, in turn, also had interesting questions beyond the standard. One mom asked how the water water pressure was and found it hilario when I replied with a verbose “good.” What else is there to say about water pressure? The same mom, upon finding out that I moved here from another state, asked how I met people. I said “Oh, the Internet.” It’s true but she was quite confused so I can only imagine what she must have thought. Also,I kept my room door shut during the tours but forgot to turn my TV off and at one point while we were marching on past to the 3rd floor, the potential roommate asked “Is that the spongebob theme song?” UH NO. You’ll be living with all professional adults. That is another very serious show about serious, professional topics whose theme song is “Who lives in a pineapple under the sea…” obvi. Saturday cartoons 4eva.
*bonus 6th: I recently discovered – via social media of course – a new app that is supposed to help you fall asleep. It’s basically a sounds app. You can play all kinds of different sounds while you fall asleep. Some of them are so funny – like “frogs”, which is, you guessed it, frogs ribbit-ing. I always go for the water sounds – “rain on roof”, “thunderstorm”, “rainstorm’, “heavy rain” – and while it doesn’t help me fall asleep faster it’s very soothing.
This song came on my I-pod in my drive home and I forgot how much I love it.
I really am going now. B-y-e.